12.02.2011

ARUM SWEETENED THE DEAL FOR COTTO TO FACE MARGARITO

ARUM SWEETENED THE DEAL FOR COTTO TO FACE MARGARITO Calling his opponent "a criminal," Cotto is sure that Margarito was dirty when they fought, and believes Margarito knew about the hand wraps applied to his fists by former trainer Javier Capetillo. Margarito has denied knowledge, and Arum believes him. "Margarito believes, as I do, that he is innocent of everything," said Arum. "I really believe that and I have believed it from the beginning." Asked if his support of Margarito upset Cotto, Arum said, "of course it has, and it's affected a lot of things that the press and the media writes about me." "But I'm a man. F__k it, I'm going to stand up for what I believe is right," said Arum, who turns 80 on Dec. 8. "Maybe if I was 30 years younger, maybe I wouldn't do that. But at my age, I'm going to stand up for what I believe is right." COTTO TAKES THE FIGHT AS MONEY TALKS So disgusted with Margarito was Cotto that he nearly did not take the fight, having vowed, after their initial bout, not to allow Margrito to profit from his name. But Arum sweetened the deal. "It took me quite an effort to convince Cotto and his people to do the fight. He has this hate for Margarito, and he didn't want Margarito to make a penny in the ring with him," said Arum. "That's what he said. I convinced them. I gave them a great deal. And he's going to make a lot of money. Ultimately, money talks. I couldn't have made this fight on normal terms. Just money. That's enough." ARUM GETS A KNICKS' JERSEY Arum, whose 80th birthday is on Dec. 8, was given a New York Knicks' jersey with that number on it by Midison Square Garden's Executive Vice President Joel Fisher during the press conference. WHAT'S NEXT FOR JULIO CESAR CHAVEZ JR.? Arum said Saturday night's Cotto-Margarito II winner could be in line to face WBC middleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (44-0-1, 31 KOs), who will be at ringside for the fight. "Chavez will be here. Cotto and Margarito have both expressed the desire to fight Chavez," said Arum. "Chavez wants to fight the winner of the fight. So maybe that's the fight that I make." Citing potential issues over a catchweight, Arum all-but ruled out an all-Mexican matchup between Chavez Jr. and WBC 154-pound titleholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (39-0-1, 29 KOs). "I'm not optimistic that I can make the Alvarez fight with Chavez because of the weight issue. You know, Chavez is a big kid, and I can't tell him to go down to 156. That's bad for his health. That doesn't make any sense. Maybe 158, but that's even tough," said Arum. "But if he fights a Miguel or a Margarito, it would be at 160 or something. I don't think that Margarito would have a problem with 160, but Miguel might ask for 158. I don't know. But 158, [Chavez's] strength trainer, [Alex] Ariza tells me is doable." Another potential opponent for Chavez could be come-backing promotional stablemate and former undisputed middleweight titleholder Kelly Pavlik (37-2, 32 KOs), who has moved up to super middleweight. Wait one Fucking minute! The stuff that great promoters are made of is to put a boxer, who has no business being in the sport anymore, who has suffered 2 crushing defeats since he was caught being a cheater, in a huge multi million dollar payday fight? Marketing the fact that he's a criminal to make more money. And also that he knows how to squeeze more money from a venue makes him a great promoter? That is insanity! The best promoters are the ones that make the best fights out there! Bob has always avoided that, to keep his fights In House so he makes all the money off it. And Goldenboy is at the very least, equal to top rank. Plus they have a better stable of fighters. And they are willing to do cross promotions. He promoted Floyd and Oscar for a while before they jumped ship. He promoted Ali, Hagler (my favorite boxer), Hearns, and Chavez Sr. There's no denying his ability to sign top talents and promote them. However, you are correct... he is a greedy pig. I believe Floyd and Oscar left because they thought he was screwing them out of money, which is probably true for Manny and Donaire now. He's a scumbag. Margarito never deserved to fight Manny, or Cotto... but people keep paying for the fights and Arum continues to fly high. It won't stop until fans stop paying for his events.dunk sb

No comments:

Post a Comment